If you leave mold to accumulate, it can damage the structure of your home and expose you and your family to health risks such as asthma and sinusitis. Mold growth is a growing concern all over the country. It gave rise to so many speculations, confusions, and misconceptions regarding mold. One of the questions most asked by homeowners is whether or not it is necessary to have a mold inspection performed. If you experience the following symptoms around the house, it is best to call a mold inspector and have your house checked for mold growth.
What are the Allergic Symptoms Caused by Mold?
If you’ve observed that you’ve been having allergies lately, chances are high that there’s mold growing in your house. Some of the most common allergic reactions caused by mold are sore eyes, sneezing, runny nose, and nasal congestion.
Observe if the allergic symptoms get worse when you’re inside the house and then you feel better when you’re outside or at another place. That’s an indication that mold is present inside your house. However, if you feel worse because of the allergic reactions in another place like your office, then maybe that location has a mold problem.
Don’t Ignore the Moldy Smell
If there’s a moldy smell around the house even if you don’t see any signs of mold, it’s possible it’s growing somewhere inside the walls or in a place that is not easily visible. Don’t ignore the moldy smell if you start observing that your house has it. Immediately call a mold inspector to check your house before the mold issues get any worse.
Looking for Mold Growth Indicators
Of course, the most obvious of all signs that your house has a mold problem is if you see it growing on places like your walls or ceiling. However, the difficult part about spotting mold is that it just looks like dirt or soot. That’s why even if it’s so obvious, some homeowners just ignore the mold growth happening in the house.
Once you start seeing mold growth even in small amounts, immediately take action and call a mold inspection company. Those tiny mold patches can grow and spread fast. It also shows that your home has the right conditions for mold to thrive in, which is bad for you and the structure.
Ignoring these signs of mold will be a bigger problem if left untreated. It’s also not enough to remove surface mold growth. Sometimes it’s just an indicator that there’s a bigger mold colony that’s thriving somewhere where you don’t see it.
You may not even realize that what you’re already seeing around your house is mold. It can look thread-like, some are clusters of spots. The colors also vary. Some may be white, black, gray-green, or gray-brown. There are even instances where mold growths behind vinyl wallpaper have the colors purple, pink, or orange.
Do You Have Water Problems?
If your house has problems with moisture, it’s inevitable that it will encourage the growth of mold. Watch out for signs of too much moisture such as discoloration or water stains on your walls, ceilings, or floors. These are the areas to check if there’s already mold growing behind or within the material. Also look for any surface abnormalities such as paint or wallpaper cracking, peeling, or bubbling. Try to feel if the walls and the materials feel damp as well. If they are, they’re the perfect places for the mold to thrive in.
Watch Out for Leaks
The signs discussed above are most often caused by leaks. You have to have your ceiling or pipes regularly checked for any leaks. Even if you don’t see any water damage yet, if there are leaks happening, it’s already a sign that there could be mold growing around the house, especially where the leak is happening.
Most of the mold growths caused by leaks are hidden. If there is a leak behind walls, the mold can also be hidden under the surface. It’s important to have these areas checked as well as in places where water has seeped through.
Beware of the Toxic Symptoms You Can Get from Mold
When left untreated, the mold growth in your home can cause a lot of serious health issues. Observe yourself and your family members if you are suffering from dizziness, memory loss, shortened attention span, trouble concentrating, and headaches. These are neurological symptoms and are serious signs that there’s toxic mold growth somewhere in your house. This should not be ignored because it can poison you and members of your family.
If you’ve observed any of these signs of mold growth around the house, it’s time to have a mold inspection performed by a reliable mold inspector. Doing so will give you information about the kind of mold growing in your house, the concentration of the growth, and how severe the problems are already. This way, you can move forward to eradicate the mold completely.